Both the Milton Glaser Design Study Center and Archives and the School of Visual Arts Archives are located in the SVA Library. The collection are open to all members of the SVA community, including administrators, faculty, students, and alumni, as well as outside students, designers, and researchers. Class visits are welcome. Make an appointment to visit here.
In 1947, Silas H. Rhodes and illustrator Burne Hogarth founded the Cartoonists and Illustrators School, with a faculty composed of New York City-based professionals working in the arts (a practice that continues to this day). Reflecting the belief that there is more to art than technique and that learning to become an artist is not the same as learning a trade, Silas H. Rhodes renamed the institution School of Visual Arts in 1956. Since that time, SVA has grown into a dynamic, multi-disciplinary institution with a faculty of more than 800 and a student body of 3,716 undergraduates, 626 graduate students, and 2,000 continuing education students from nearly every state and 53 countries. The College has consistently engaged a faculty of renowned artists, critics, designers, historians and writers who are active and respected in their fields.
School of Visual Arts Archives + Milton Glaser Design Study Center and Archives
380 Second Avenue, 2nd floor
New York, NY 10010-3994
Beth Kleber, Head of Archives
Phone — 212 592.2636
Email — firstname.lastname@example.org
Lawrence Giffin, Assistant Archivist
Phone — 212 592.2615
Email — email@example.com