SVA ArchivesGlaser archivesOur blog

About the SVA archives

The School of Visual Arts Archives serves as the final repository for the historical records of School of Visual Arts. Its primary purpose is to document the history of the School and to provide source material for administrators, faculty, students, alumni, and other members of the School community, as well as scholars, authors, and other interested persons who seek to evaluate the impact of the School’s activities on the history of American artistic, social, and cultural development. The SVA Archives is a division of the Visual Arts Foundation.

Materials in the Archives collections include posters, announcements, departmental and student publications, and other printed ephemera and artifacts, dating back to its founding in 1947. The Archives also collects administrative and departmental records, photographs, and the papers of important individuals associated with the College.

About SVA

In 1947, Silas H. Rhodes and illustrator Burne Hogarth founded the Cartoonists and Illustrators School, with a faculty composed of New York City-based professionals working in the arts (a practice that continues to this day).  Reflecting the belief that there is more to art than technique and that learning to become an artist is not the same as learning a trade, Silas H. Rhodes renamed the institution School of Visual Arts in 1956.  Since that time, SVA has grown into a dynamic, multi-disciplinary institution with a faculty of more than 800 and a student body of over 3,700 from 47 states and 50 countries.

Contact

School of Visual Arts Archives
380 Second Avenue, 2nd floor
New York, NY 10010-3994

Beth Kleber, Archivist
Phone — 212 592.2636
Fax — 212 592.2655
Email

Zachary Sachs, Coordinator
Phone — 212 592.2615
Email